Prof. Dr. A. Femius Koenderink
Group Leader Resonant Nanophotonics
Department Head Center for Nanophotonics
FOM Institute AMOLF
Science Park 102-104
NL-1098 XG Amsterdam
+31 20 754 7100
As Principal Investigator:
- January 2016 – present: Department Head Center for Nanophotonics, FOM Institute AMOLF
- August 2012 – present: Professor (Bijzonder Hoogleraar) of Physics, Institute of Physics of the University of Amsterdam
- July 2012 – present: permanent staff member, group leader `Resonant Nanophotonics' (fulltime), Center for Nanophotonics, FOM Institute AMOLF, Amsterdam
- February 2008– July 2012: Tenure track group leader `Resonant Nanophotonics' (fulltime), Center for Nanophotonics, FOM Institute AMOLF, Amsterdam
As research associate:
- August 1, 2005 – January 31, 2008: Postdoctoral fellow (fulltime) FOM Institute AMOLF, Amsterdam & University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands Co-supervision Ph.D. Students: C. van Ditzhuijzen, R. de Waele, I. Nikolaev Research project: Dipole-coupling for plasmons & Rydberg atoms
- October 1, 2003 – July 31, 2005: Postdoctoral fellow (fulltime) Lab. für Physikalische Chemie, ETH Zürich, Switzerland Co-supervised Ph.D. Student: Dr. R. Wüest Research project: Near-field characterization and manipulation of photonic crystals, spontaneous emission and microcavities
- July 1, 2003 - September 30, 2003: Research assistant (fulltime) University of Twente, The Netherlands Research project: Disorder and loss in photonic crystals
- July 1, 1999 – June 30, 2003: Ph.D. Student University of Amsterdam and University of Twente, The Netherlands Research project: Emission and transport of light in photonic crystals
PhD degree (Cum Laude) Experimental Physics, University of Amsterdam Thesis:Emission and Transport of Light in Photonic Crystals Advisors: Prof. Dr. W. L. Vos, and Prof. Dr. A. Lagendijk
02/06/99 Doctoraal (Masters) (Cum Laude) Applied Mathematics, Utrecht University Thesis: Chaotic behaviour of quasi-periodically driven Helmholtz oscillators Advisor: Prof. Dr. A. Doelman
02/06/98 Doctoraal (MSc) (Cum Laude) Experimental Physics , Utrecht University Thesis: Monochromatic phonon optics: physical optics of acoustic waves Advisors: Dr. D.J. Dieleman, Dr. A.F.M. Arts and Prof. Dr. H.W. de Wijn
Elected Member of De Jonge Akademie (Young Academy of the Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences (KNAW)) (2012).
NWO VICI Innovational Research Grant (2015-2020) NWO VIDI Innovational Research Grant (2009-2015) NWO VENI Innovational Research Grant (2006-2009)
ETH postdoctoral fellowship, ETH Zürich, Switzerland (2003)
Highest distinction “Cum Laude” for Ph.D. Degree (2003) Highest distinction “Cum Laude” for Masters degree mathematics (1999) Highest distinction “Cum Laude” for Masters degree physics (1998)
Master course Femius Koenderink teaches a 6 ECTS course Nanophotonics in the Physics Master of the University of Amsterdam (course attended by both University of Amsterdam and Free University students) since 2012.
Prior experience Femius Koenderink taught problem classes at ETH Zürich (Switzerland), the University of Amsterdam, and Utrecht University. Subjects included Special Relativity, Classical Mechanics, Electrostatics, Electrody-namics (i.e. all 1st year courses), Thermal Physics (2nd year), Advanced Quantum Mechanics (3rd/4th year), Introductory quantum mechanics (1st year course), Statistical Physics (4th year), Advanced Spectroscopy (3rd year).
Referee: Physical Review Letters, Physical Review B, Physical Review E, Physical Review X, Nano Letters, ACS Nano, ACS Photonics, Science, Nature, Nature Physics, Nature Nanotechnology, Nature Materials, Nature Photonics, Nature Communications, Optica, Optics Letters, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Optics Express, Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Applied Physics, Optics Communications, Photonics and Nanostructures. Also review work for international grant organizations (France, Danmark,Austria, Germany, Belgium, USA, Australia)
Editorial Board: Physical Review A (since 2014)
Membership: “Nederlandse Natuurkundige Vereniging’’ (the Netherlands), European Physical Society, American Physical Society.
Committees: FOM Nano Werkgemeenschapscommissie (since 2016), NWO-transitie werkgroep betadomein (2016), NWO VIDI committee (2015 round), KNAW Profielwerkstukprijs (2015), NWO Mozaiek Grant committee (2011, 2012); KNAW Wetenschapsknooppunten Grant committee; Board Member Section Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics Dutch Physical Society (organises yearly conference (2 days, 150 participants); FOM Physics@Veldhoven programme committee (2009, 2011, 2017).
Ph.D. Students supervised
- Ivana Sersic (graduated 2012)
- Martin Frimmer (2012)
- Andrej Kwadrin (2014)
- Felipe Bernal Arango (2014)
- Abbas Mohtashami, (2015)
- Lutz Langguth (2015)
- Hinke Schokker (2016)
- Michele Cotrufo (2017, 1st promotor Adrea Fiore, TU Eindhoven)
- In progress: Cocoa Guo, Hugo Doeleman, Annemarie Berkhout, Christiaan Mennes, Kevin Cognee, Ruslan Rohrich and Isabelle Palstra